Incorporating the Ontario Building Code

 Hello everyone and welcome back!

This week has been the most challenging one thus far! To ensure my laundry room will be up to building code I had to review the Ontario building code and make some slight revisions to my original plan. One of my first concerns was the venting required for my plumbing rough ins. Since no vent was accessible I have to look for alternative measures. I learned you can use an AAV vent to overcome this problem! Since I will need room for my laundry exhaust I have decided to put my wall 6 inches away from the foundation to ensure I won't have any issues fitting all my HVAC and plumbing. 

After assessing all of my neccesary rough ins, it became time to consider how much material I will need to frame. Like many of you reading this blog, I don't like to waste money. When preparing to frame my laundry room I used my template to calculate the perimeter of my room. If you weren't aware, studs have 16" centers, allowing me to approximate how many 2x4 I will need. I estimated that I needed 30 2x4, which cost me a whopping 138$. Although I don't plan on framing until next week, me grabbing my materials had me concerned how much it will cost me to finish my laundry room. I found that many of the materials I'm going to need in the coming weeks will be expensive and to avoid heavy costs I began shopping for deals. After a few hours of checking hardware stores I found myself at the Restore. This store reused products or takes damaged products and donates the proceeds to charity. This is where I found my laundry tub!

                                                            Above is a picture of the laundry tub I found on clearance for $125, which was comparable at Home Depot for $400 + tax! Although it took a lot more effort it helped my budget significantly. For any of you planning any home renovation ensure you give yourself adaquitte time to find deals and make your renovations affordable. Next week I plan on framing but will be sure to keep my eye out for any cheap additions I can use to improve my laundry room!

Till next week,

Madison Salmond



Comments