Creating a Plan

 Hello everyone and welcome back! 

This week I decided to create a more comprehensive plan. Although I have some experience with renovations, a laundry room added quite a few extra components that I needed to familiarize myself with. To ensure I wasn't forgetting anything important I decided to research all of my basic requirements. After watching Bunning Warehouses How to Design A Laundry Room - DIY At Bunnings video on youtube, I had a clearing understanding of the preparation needed. 

Many of you, like myself might think that the flooring or paint color has to all be planned out ahead of time but it doesn't. To begin building a laundry room you need to create a floor plan of all your appliances, counters and shelving. Although they will be the last thing installed, you will have no idea where to put any of your plumbing, electrical or HVAC needed for the units to work. Not creating a coherent plan will cost yourself a lot of money later on. 

Since I like to keep my money, I began to develop a list of all the items I wanted in my laundry room and decided to measure them all. Below is a copy of the list I decided to create!

As you can see I prioritized my 3 basic amenities as a washer, dryer and laundry tub. I included the measurements of all of them to help develop my floor plan. After calculating the space I had to work with, I wanted to create my base layout. Wolf  Home Products (shorturl.at/AIX23) helped me discover that it's easier and more cost effect to put all appliances and sinks close to each for the plumbing, HVAC and electrical. Although everyone will have their own unique laundry room, when constructing your own ensure you consider the benefits of placing your major appliances close together! Based on the space I had this is my tentative floor plan:

After placing my 3 main amenities, I mocked up a rough sketch of how I want to fill in the remaining space. Although I know have my rough draft I will need to look into electrical, HVAC and plumbing codes to ensure I meet all the legal requirements.

I'll be back next week to show you some of my progress!

Madison Salmond



Comments